Breaking Ground 1954

Pocono Produce Company opens new facilities in Stroudsburg, PA in 1950
Changing Times
1950
The Fifties

Construction of the new facility at North Fifth Street began in 1954. On June 3, 1955, Ed Driebe founded the “new” Pocono Produce Company, adding frozen foods to the already established high quality fresh-line. The move in June proved to be very fortunate. In August 1955 Hurricane Diane struck the area dumping more than 12” of rain in less than 6 hours. Without warning, widespread flooding destroyed most of the bridges in eastern Pennsylvania. The towns of Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg were half-under water. Pocono’s original facility lay under more than 15 feet of water but the new facility, home for just two months, was spared as it was located just high and far enough away from the affected areas. With the addition of frozen foods came new opportunities in other areas. By 1956 another freezer was added and Pocono expanded its delivery area into the nearby cities of Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton and eastward into northern New Jersey. New segments of opportunity appeared as well, as schools and healthcare began to offer frozen foods to students and patients.